Well, he just made it worse, in my opinion.
A teachable moment? How about “keep your mouth shut about an incident that is a local matter you don’t have the facts on?”
No, No, No, Crowley, do not go. The cards are stacked against you. You’ll have the President of the United States and his good buddy, Skip, in the room. You don’t stand a chance with odds like that. If Obama were a judge he would have to recuse himself because he’s already stated his opinion and that he is biased in favor of his friend.
Quote: “Well, I should say at the outset that Skip Gates is a friend, so I may be a little biased here.”
And in his “apology,” he states, quote: “I continue to believe, based on what I have heard, that there was an overreaction in pulling professor Gates out of his home to the station. I also continue to believe, based on what I heard, that professor Gates probably overreacted as well.”
Number one, the pulling or hauling Gates out of his home has been repeated as fact today (Saturday), why? Because that’s what the President said.
Number two, Obama is a lawyer, he knows better than to repeat hearsay, as in “based on what I have heard.” He stated that twice in two sentences.
He is still stirring the pot.
But I think he had the whole thing staged: An out of context question at the end of a new conference posed by a Chicago reporter? He used race thoroughout his entire campaign when he thought he could milk it. And what would be in the news today, but for this incident? How he did not clear up anything in his long and rambling answers on health care, and that he did not get what he wanted – something by August.
He would much rather have everybody talking about race than his limp performance I am sure. I certainly don’t buy that he is somehow surprised that the press is consumed with it. It was a certainty that they would be.
IT HAS TO BE A PLANNED STRATEGY: Why else would the smartest man in the world make such a stupid statement about the Cambridge police? He should not have made a public comment about a misdemeanor in a small town: Number one, because Skip was a friend. Inappropriate in itself.
Number two, he does not know all the facts. Was Professor Gates pulled out of his house? He was not, I don’t believe. And guess what? He still does not know all the facts. He just admitted it at the news conference.
So now that he came out and spoke, there’s more fuel on the fire.
Never, never, never should Crowley go to the White House to have a beer. Dear God, it should never, never, never involve the President of the United States. I just can’t believe I am hearing this! If a policeman came to my house, in uniform, and I continued to yell at him after being warned, I would be handcuffed and arrested. And rightly so. But I would be saying, yes, sir, and no, sir, and what do you need me to do, sir.
UPDATE: 1. Lynn Sweet says the thing was not planned BUT I don’t believe it. Here’s the quote from her: “I got a call from the White House press office about 6:30 p.m. confirming I was indeed going to show up at the 8 p.m. press conference. I was told I “may” get a question from the president. No one asked me — directly or indirectly — about what I may be asking. No one from the White House tried to plant any question.” And I say: Yeah, right. 🙂
2. It has also been reported that Gates was an Obama donor and that he held a fundraiser for him. (No surprise there. Obama said he was not only a supporter but a friend.)
3. Side note: The house Gates is living in rent-free belongs to Harvard and is tax exempt.
4. And the ultimate: I just heard Al Sharpton weigh in on it. And that to put it bluntly makes me want to puke and means for sure that Crowley should not meet with anybody for a beer, or a waffle, or a cup of coffee, or a cigarette. You can be sure that the president and the professor will be having a “teachable moment” all right. And guess who will be the student? What we have here, Rev. Al, is stereotyping, profiling, and discrimination against law enforcement. Oh, and let’s don’t forget a rush to judgment. 🙂 I want to HEAR THE TAPE.
5. What makes me sick beyond words is that Obama is manipulating us all, to his advantage. I keep saying I’m not going to talk about it any more because it depresses me. But really he just may have outsmarted himself on this one.
6. I just found out the mayor of Cambridge is black. Also note that the governor of Massachusetts is black, and last but not least, the President of the United States is black.
(Watch the wedding dance video. It makes you know that all is not lost and there is a lot of room for joy and thankfulness.)
Posted: 07.24.09 Updated: 07.26.09 @ 12:56 p.m.