I hate these little sneaky schemes. Here’s one for the voters of Florida, especially those in District 8, (Alan Grayson’s Congressional seat).
This one is so slick I had a little trouble breaking it down, but I’ve checked it out and discovered which “Florida Tea Party” is for real and which one is fake – and financially supported by Alan Grayson.
U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson’s campaign has paid nearly $20,000 to a corporation created by a Florida Tea Party candidate, with help from that party’s top consultant, lending support to Republicans’ claims that Grayson is funneling some of his $30-plus million fortune toward a party that is running a candidate against him in the general election.
[Some good detailed investigative reporting here]
FAKE ONE: http://floridateaparty.us/home.php – This one has a logo shaped like the State of Florida with a snake head at the top and tail at the bottom. They have put up a candidate named Peg Dunmire, in District 8. If you generally relate to the tea party movement, you might be tempted to vote for her to support the anti-incumbent wave of vote the bums out. I know I would be, before I became aware of this deception.
REAL ONE: The following link is to the website of the original grassroots tea party. They have filed a lawsuit trying to stop the other one from co-opting the name in order to deceive people.
The real Florida Tea Party does not have a candidate in the race. There is no tea party candidate per se. Vote for the republican, Daniel Webster if you want to defeat ultra liberal Democrat Alan Grayson and get him out of Washington, D. C.
This whole thing makes my head hurt, but Grayson will lie and stoop to anything to get re-elected. Don’t be fooled and let him win.
VOTE GRAYSON OUT!!!
- Map of District 8
Includes parts of Lake, Marion, Orange, Osceola
Alan Grayson* – (Democrat)
- J.D., Harvard Law School
- M.P.P. in Government, Harvard Kennedy School
- B.A., Harvard College
Personal: Married, 5 children
- Incumbent District 8 Representative, 2009–present
- Alliance for Aging Research
- IDT Corp., former president
- D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge’s assistant
- Promote higher fuel efficiency standards
- Ban drilling for oil off Florida coasts
- “Supports providing quality health care for all Americans at a price that no longer cripples families”
- Increasing federal funding for stem cell research
Daniel Webster – (Republican)
Occupation: Air conditioning contractor
- Florida state Senate, 1998–2008
- Florida state House, 1980–98
- Less government
- Lower taxes
- More personal responsibility
- More individual freedom
– (Tea Party)
- M.P.H. in Hospital Administration and Finance, University of Pittsburgh
- B.S. in Medical Technology, Penn State
Occupation: Owner, Dunmire Consulting, LLC
Personal: “Mother and Grandmother.”
- Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh, former chief information officer
- Former school director
- Repeal, revise and reform the Health Care Legislation
- “Supports the growth of our economy building on what we have and expanding job opportunities to reduce our unemployment. Improve the economy so tourists can come to Orlando. Improve the economy so entrepreneurs want to start new businesses. Improve the economy so we have more money in our pockets for us to decide what to do with the money.”
George Metcalfe (No Party Affiliation)
- J.D., St. Thomas University School of Law
- M.A., University of Miami
- M.B.A., University of Miami
- B.B.A. in Finance, University of Miami
Personal: Married, 6 children
- Peters, Pickle, Niemoeller, Robertson, Lax and Parsons; associate counsel
- Florida Department of Health, senior attorney/assistant district legal counsel
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of Florida, law clerk
- “Supports fiscal responsibility and reduced national debt for economic health, stronger national security, and creation of new rural jobs by rejecting all new taxes, and allowing businesses to hire new employees and buy equipment.”
- “Supports limited government, lower taxes and a balanced budget amendment in the U.S. Constitution, except at wartime.”
- “Supports prayer in all schools and a constitutional amendment protecting religious freedoms from government intrusion.”
Steven Gerritzen (Write-In)