Tea Party/Code Red Rally/”Surge Against Obamacare” due to arrive in Washington tomorrow seem to be getting the red carpet treatment from the Speaker. Take a look at this. Snacks, extra chairs, coffee, guest books….. 🙂 Well, do tell. Welcome to Capitol Hole. I’ll take a Diet Coke.
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2010 5:25 PM
Subject: Tea Party Etiquette
TO: Freshman and Sophomore House Democrats
FROM: Office of the Assistant to the Speaker
DATE: March 15, 2010
RE: Tea Party Etiquette
As many of you have read, tomorrow, Tuesday, March 16, 2010, tens of thousands of conservative and Tea Party activists will be on the Hill as part of what they are dubbing a “Surge Against Obamacare.” Rick Scott, a multimillionaire investor and former hospital executive, is helping to lead the grassroots effort along with a number of other groups on the right like Dick Armey’s FreedomWorks. While many of you have met with outspoken activists in your districts in the past, we wanted to remind you of some of the best practices to review with your DC staff:
1. Be prepared. Activists are expected to begin arriving around 9am and they have been given instructions to wait in your office until they can have a meeting. Please have an orderly process and enough staff and interns to welcome what could be a very large number of visitors throughout the day:
• Have staff and/or Member time set-aside to visit with attendees in small groups;
• Ask for extra chairs or seating to be brought to your office or the hall in case there are seniors or disabled visitors that need to be accommodated;
• Consider having some light snacks, H2O, and coffee available;
• Ask visitors to leave all signs and banners outside the office.
2. Prioritize listening to your constituents: • Have multiple guest books/comment sheets available for all visitors to sign-in and leave comments — we recommend you have one for residents of your district, one for residents of your state (but not your district), and one for out-of-state visitors. Have a Capitol Directory and map available to direct visitors to their Member of Congress and written instructions on how…..
What: CODE RED Health Care Rally to Kill The Bill!
When: March 16, 2010 at 10:00 am EST.
Where: Capitol Hill, Taft Park, Washington D.C.
Speakers: Pence, Bachmann, others.
UPDATE: Michelle Malkin follows the rally. http://michellemalkin.com/2010/03/16/making-their-voices-heard-protesting-demcare-on-capitol-hill/
Posted: 03.15.10 Updated: 03.16.10 @ 1:16 p.m.