A babysitter’s parrot is being credited with helping save the life of a 2-year-old girl who was choking Friday at a Denver area home while the sitter was in the bathroom.
“While I was in the bathroom, Willie, (a Quaker Parrot) started screaming like I’d never heard him scream before and he started flapping his wings,” said Meagan, the babysitter. “Then he started saying ‘mama baby’ over and over and over again until I came out and looked at Hannah and Hannah’s face was turning blue because she was choking on her pop tart.”
Meagan performed the Heimlich maneuver on Hannah, which stopped the choking.
“If Willie had not warned me, I probably wouldn’t have come out of the bathroom in time because she was already turning blue, her lips were blue and everything,” Meagan said.
“If anything happened to her, I don’t know what I would do,” said Samantha Kuusk, Hannah’s mother. “I’m very grateful for the both of them because they both saved her.”
UPDATE: On last Friday, Willie got the local Red Cross chapters’ Animal Lifesaver Award during a “Breakfast of Champions” event which was attended by Colorado Gov. Bill Ritter and Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper.
These little Quaker parrots don’t usually get the credit they deserve. They are very intelligent and have loads of personality, displaying a wide range of “emotions” from happy, singing, dancing, and, of course, mad as a hornet. So I don’t doubt this story at all. Mine notices anything that is out of the ordinary. And the words she says are so appropriate to the situation. For example, you start sweeping or cleaning out the cage, and it’s, “What’cha doing?” or “Thank you” when you give her a treat.
Posted: 11.11.08 Updated: 03.24.09